Loading...

Sports - Nigerian Victor Kayode Remains Committed To Sierra Leone

Nigerian-born midfielder Victor Kayode says he is committed to Sierra Leone, despite not appearing in their Africa Cup of Nations defeat to Tunisia.
Kayode was set to make his debut for Leone Stars last Saturday, after doubts were removed over his eligibility.

He failed to even make the bench, however, as his adopted country were eliminated on away goals, after a 2-2 aggregate scoreline.

But the 25-year-old says he still "belongs to Sierra Leone".
Kayode was born in Ondo state to Nigerian parents but qualifies to play for Leone Stars through his maternal grandfather.

He was first selected by coach Lars Olof Mattsson for the first leg of the final qualifying round tie in August.

But after questions were raised by reporter as to how Kayode qualified to represent Sierra Leone, he was withdrawn from the squad.

The path was then subsequently cleared for him to make his international bow, as it emerged that his grandfather was born in Sierra Leone, but Mattsson left him out of his selection for the second leg qualifier - a decision which disappointed the midfielder.

"Really, I was disappointed, because I was focused on this game," Kayode told reporter.

"When I heard [I was cleared to play], I was so focused, because I believed that even if I did not start the game, maybe I would be on the bench, and I might [get on] for five or 10 minutes.

"But when they said I would not play, I felt sad, but at the same time, you have to cheer up and pray for the others who are playing."

Kayode, who plays his club football in Azerbaijan, expressed an interest in playing for Sierra Leone as recently as four months ago.

He was introduced to Mattsson by friend and Leone Stars skipper Ibrahim Kargbo, ahead of World Cup and Nations Cup qualifiers in June.

After failing to make Mattsson's selections to date, he remains determined to fight for his place in the Sierra Leone side, however.

"I really want to join the Leone Stars. I want to show myself. I want to play and I want people to see me and make them happy.

"When they said I could not play, I had to encourage myself and say 'come on, life goes on, keep it up and do the right thing'."

Kayode remains eligible for Nigeria, but says he would decline an invitation to appear for the Super Eagles in favour of Leone Stars.

"I'm not coming to Sierra Leone because they haven't invited me to the Nigerian national team.

"I'm coming because I have an interest and I want to play for Sierra Leone.

"I belong to Sierra Leone. I cannot play for any other country. Even if Nigeria come and invite me in the future, I cannot go."
Sports 737537586450633520

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Home item

Popular Posts

Labels

Current News Nigeria Africa BREAKING NEWS Boko Haram Terrorism Entertainment Goodluck Jonathan South Africa Business Big Brother Africa Mali Egypt AFCON Elections Sudan Abubakar Shekau Zimbabwe Libya Somali FIFA Barack Obama Chelsea Al-Qaeda Syria Mandela Senegal African Union Lagos Manchester United Tunisia Uganda Patience Jonathan Central Africa Jose Mourinho Barcelona Jacob Zuma Stephen Keshi Algeria Dangote Ethiopia Malawi Nigerian Army Oscar Pistorius Zambia Big Brother CHASE Celebrity Saudi Arabia Ansaru Arsenal Mikel Obi Liberia Muslim Brotherhood Olusegun Obasanjo Pope Benedict XVI Okonjo-Iweala Amnesty Argentina Congo North Korea Queen Elizabeth II Robert Mugabe Sierra Leone Angola Buhari Dana Twitter APC Adenuga Alex Ferguson Aljazeera Boston Marathon David Mark EFCC Henry Okah Morsi Sanusi Togo #OccupyNigeria Arik Air Arsene Wenger Basketball Cristiano Ronaldo Current Views Spain UEFA Champions League Uhuru Kenyatta Yobe Babatunde Fashola COZA Drogba Michelle Obama Morgan Tsvangirai Tanzania Wole Soyinka Bakassi Peninsula Mark Zuckerberg Middle East Mozambique Neymar Roman Abrahamovich World Bank World Cup ANC Al Ahly Al Shabaab Aliko Dangote Angelina Jolie Bayelsa Big Brother Star Game Burkina Faso Chevron D'Banj Don Jazzy FELA Farouk Lawan Kim Kardashian Michael Jordan Mike Tyson Peter Odemwingie Sepp Blatter Singapore Social Media Sokoto Super Eagles Swaziland Tiger Woods WhatsApp Yahoo Asari Dokubo BBC British M16 CBN Danbaba Suntai David Beckham Ernest Koroma Fabrice Muamba Femi Falana Hezbollah Julius Malema Kabiru Sokoto Kanu Nwankwo Lesotho Michael Jackson Osama Bin Laden Pope John Paul II Sani Abacha Somaliland South Korea Susan Rice Taraba Yakowa Yemen Yvonne Ndege Zamfara Zaria

Random Posts

Flickr Photo